Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Varnish Horror

This was originally going to be a post about the new Intruder with HMG for Infinity, painted this week for my Jurisdictional Command of Corregidor. Instead, the spray varnish failed spectacularly and ruined several hours worth of work. 

Suffice to say, I was not happy. There may have been some cursing, especially as this was the first model I have finished in my new home. This was not the first time this has happened, nor even the first time it has happened with a model for my Infinity team (I spent many hours fixing the Wildcats, Lunokhod Sputnik and repainting the first Hellcat), but the feeling does not get any easier. I think I may have applied too much varnish, or the weather may have been too cold - Army Painter Anti-Shine Matt Varnish has very strict conditions for success, something I think I ignored at my peril. 

There are many methods for salvaging a model, from applying a paint-on gloss varnish to washing the model, some of which I have successfully used in the past, but for this model the build-up on the back of the model looks like too much damage has been done. The model has been stripped, and my post will have to wait! 

Here are some pictures, to chronicle the horror...

Painting begins anew sometime tonight.

Thanks for reading, and always be careful with your varnish!



  1. GW gloss will fix it. I never trust AP anymore. Burned once too many!

  2. that's why I do not spray anymore....matte varnish (acrylic one from Vallejo) applied by brush.....als it happened to me in the past, too.